Friday 27 April 2012

Mac Starter Kit



I know this is nothing new and everyone has done it but as I have just recently started by blog I thought that it wouldn’t be complete without a Mac starter Kit. Mac is a good brand if you want to start buying high end makeup as it is cheaper than brands like Nars, Bobbi Brown and Chanel.  I am not really going to go into products that I don’t own or that I think you can buy a lot better quality product from another brand or if I think the product is not worth the money.

Eye shadows-
Mac eye shadows are very pigmented and easy to blend if you have a few good brushes. For a starter kit I would recommend that you buy a quad and four pan eye shadows.  I am not going to suggest that you buy Carbon (a matte black) as you can buy a drugstore dupe quite easily. For a highlight colour I would recommend Brule (satin finish) as it is my all tine favourite highlight as it is so natural and highlights without extreme shimmer. For a lid colour I would recommend Naked Lunch (frost finish) as it has a subtle sheen/shimmer and works well with a number of skin tones and crease colours. As a best friend colour (natural crease colour)I would steer you towards  Quarry (matte finish) as it is so easy to blend and goes with everything. I would finally suggest that you pick up Satin Taupe (frost finish) which as the name suggests is a taupe colour that blends wonderfully with Naked Lunch.
Now apart from the highlight which is neutral, these are all more cool toned colours, so if you would prefer warmer colours I would suggest Ricepaper as the lid colour, Wedge as the best friend crease colour and Patina as the main crease colour.

Lip Products-
I love all formulations of all Mac lipsticks and lip glosses and think that you can’t really go wrong with them but I have a few suggests to put you in the right direction.
Mac Hue lipstick (glaze finish) is something I’m sure you have heard of if you ready any beauty blog or watch any beauty YouTube channel.  It is a sheer natural pink nude lipstick, and probably one of my all time favourites.  However another lipstick that i would recommend if you are like me and have problems with having darker red lips than most people is Honeylove (matte). This lipstick is great for neutralising your lips before putting on a lip gloss; I do this by lightly dabbing the lipstick on and then apply another lip colour or gloss.
My favourite Mac lip gloss is love nectar which isa lustreglass formula and is the perfect nude gloss. I find that you can do so much with this gloss as you can wear it on it’s on to create a peachy nude lip of on top of something like Hue lipstick for a pinky nude.
Eye shadow Bases-
Macs Painterly paint pot is a great base if like me you prefer a very creamy base. Again this is a product that you have probably heard of before. However what you probably haven’t heard about this cult product is that if you have oily eyelids and wear eye shadows all day IT DOES CREASE. So while it is nice for short wear of eye shadows if you want something really long wearing get Urban Decay Primer Potion. (I often apply both)

Blush and Highlighters-
Finally, my favourite type of products from Mac. The blush I would recommend is Pinch O’ Peach (sheertone formula) because you can get a very natural pink if applied lightly or you can make it an intense pink with heavy application. Although what I would say about Mac blush is get any sheertone or satin formula blush that suits your skin tone and taste. These blushes are pigmented but very very easy to work with and blend unlike other finishes such as matte finishes.
I can’t bring myself to pick just one as I am a girl with dry skin I love highlighter. The Cream Colour Base in Pearl is a great cream highlighter that creates a very dewy effect.  And the Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle is a powder highlighter so it may be better for more oily skins. Overall either is a great choice but for a person who I new to Mac I might pick Soft and Gentle as it works great as a eye shadow on the lid as well as a highlighter.


No comments:

Post a Comment